Why is laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery good?
• Most commonly performed obesity operation for morbid obesity
• Has excellent results
• Can resolve type 2 diabetes in up to 80% of cases
Why might laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery not be good?
• Major operation that alters the anatomy of your stomach
• Long term vitamin supplementation and blood tests required
• Long term follow-up essential
• Some late regain in weight
• Significant weight loss may result in excess skin requiring cosmetic surgery
What are the risks of laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery?
• Bleeding (1-5%)
• Anastomotic leak (join) (1-3%)
• Chance of vitamin or mineral deficiency, avoided by taking supplements
• Dumping (30%) - when sweet foods cause you to sweat and feel faint
• Hair thinning
What results can I expect from gastric bypass surgery?
• Average long term excess weight loss of 60%
What do I need to do?
• Be committed to losing weight. It will change how you eat.
• Have regular blood tests
• Take your vitamin supplements
• Attend your follow-up appointments
If you have any other questions about obesity surgery e-mail